What is trauma?
The dictionary defines trauma as an extremely distressing experience that causes severe emotional shock and may have long-lasting psychological effects or as a bodily injury. Many people experience events that can create long-lasting effects in their lives.
Some of the types of events that may cause traumatic stress include:
• Life-threatening incidents, such as natural disasters, air or auto accidents, or falls
• Violent crime, such as assault or rape
• War-time experiences
• Physical abuse
• Verbal abuse
• Sexual abuse
• Loss of a loved one through death or separation
• Severe humiliation
• Discovery of a life-threatening or disabling illness
Traumatizing events can cause serious emotional problems, even if there was no physical damage that occurred. Common threads in events that may cause emotional trauma include:
• It was an unexpected event.
• The person was unprepared.
• There was nothing the person could do to prevent it from happening.
Symptoms from trauma can be delayed for months or even years after the event or events. Some people do not realize that their symptoms are the result of a previous traumatic experience.
Some of the symptoms of traumatic stress are:
• Lack of energy
• Change in eating habits
• Sleep disturbances
• Sexual dysfunction
• Chronic, unexplained pain
• Panic attacks
• Inability to concentrate
• Memory loss
• Difficulty making decisions
• Compulsive and obsessive behaviors
• Irritability and hostility
• Emotional numbness
• Overreactions, including sudden outbursts of anger
• Hyper-vigilance and jumpiness
• Social withdrawal
• Substance abuse
• Violent behavior
• Suicidal thoughts
• Re-experiencing the trauma with intrusive thoughts, flashbacks, or nightmares
As a Certified Clinical Trauma Professional and Certified EMDR Therapist, Jana specializes in treating those affected by traumatic stress. If you have been a victim of abuse or violence, Jana will provide a compassionate and safe environment for you to begin the healing process.
© Copyright 2014 Jana Henry, LPC. All rights reserved.